Obesity when itself becomes a
disease, it is a limitation for the patient. This no longer
remains only a cosmetic surgery problem but has to be tackled
as an organized effort by many specialties. This is a concern
for the patient as well as doctor who is treating.
PATIENT'S CONCERN is that he or she has too much fat
deposition in almost all body part, which shows as layers
or Tiers. Thick fat apron hangs down from the abdomen to thighs,
insides and outsides of thighs are so much bulky that it is
difficult to walk. Same is the case with chest and arms. To
keep their parts clean is difficult. Walking and other movements
are quite limited. Many diseases are associated with obesity
and patient bears the brunt of their added problems.
REASONS OF MORBID OBESITY are many. For the interest
of every one, I will discuss few of them here:
1. Excessive eating is one of the main reasons. Modern life
style has limited activities. Calories intake are invariably
more than the required daily consumption. Extra calories are
stored in shape of fat in fat cells.
2. Eating habits of now-a-days have more of junk food, juices
and soft drinks. Children in particular have more affinity
towards chocolates and ice-creams. Very few physical exercise
lots of calories intake adds to obesity problem even in childhood.
3. Wrestlers, weight lifters and some sports persons in their
younger age do heavy exercises plus heavy diet. But, little
later, when this routine is broken, can't keep a control,
ends up in morbid obesity at younger age.
4. Accidents and prolong bed rest in some cases adds to the
problem of obesity.
5. Ladies after pregnancies, more so after caesarian section
operation have tendency to put on which is unstoppable leading
to morbid obesity.
6. Uncontrolled excessive drinkers of bear and alcohol on
regular basis along with rich food is one major and common
cause of morbid obesity.
7. Compulsive eaters are those who cannot stop themselves
from eating are in good number as morbid obesity patients.
8. Hormonal derangements are medical problem in some cases.
Imbalance in hormones production in Thyroid, Pituitary, Adrenals
and some other glands are responsible for morbid obesity.
9. Hereditary factors does play important role. Offspring's
of obese parents with familial history are often obese.
EFFECTS OF MORBID OBESITY ON PATIENT'S BODY are many,
1. Bulky body is an embracement for the patient and family.
Laughs, Funny comments and jokes are common. Patient develops
2. Activities and movements with heavy body are quite restricted
3. Breathlessness with little effort is common.
4. Blood pressure remains high and effects of high blood pressure
on other body parts like heart, kidneys and brain are commonly
5. Heart has to keep pumping blood to the huge body. It is
put to heavy extra work regularly. Therefore, angina, heart
attack and heart failure is inevitable even at early stage.
6. Diabetes Mellitus is commonly associated with obesity.
Control of diabetes with medicines or insulin requires very
heavy doses, even then remains uncontrolled. Uncontrolled
diabetes is a nuisance and effects adversely to all body parts.
7. Effects on kidneys due to obesity, added up with hypertension
and diabetes leads to chronic kidney disease ending up in
failure to dialysis and kidney transplantation.
8. Bones, Joints and muscles always has to carry heavy overweight.
They loose their shape and strength. Movements becomes more
and more restricted adding to the problems of morbid obesity.
9. Gall Bladder Stone, Liver Disease, Sleep Apnea and Insomnia
are some associated problems.
10. Infertility in males and females because of obesity is
known. It is quite distressing and depressing for the couple.
11. Dermatitis - bacterial and/or fungal origin are problems
in parts, where layers rub each other and not kept hygienically
12. Morbid Obese patients struggles during its life time and
with shortening life span marches to the early end.